Saturday, April 20, 2013

Keeping Busy


I'll be finishing up with a couple book projects in the next two weeks.  Then I can get back to a few portraits that have been collecting dust... literally.  There are about three things that I've worked on since the middle of last year that I still can't talk about here.  Publishing can take some time, and I've just finished a painting that has yet to be unveiled.

I do have a creative and useful accomplishment to mention however.  For years my dad has wanted to build a bookcase and just recently we purchased the right tools.  We got together a few weekends ago and built the bookcase you see here.  I was in serious need of this thing as I was constantly moving books and paper from desk, to chair, to desk, and couldn't do several things at once because of the clutter.

The wood was cheep pine and probably not worth what I paid so I can't brag about that.  I painted a faux finish to give an aged look.  On the edges I added a bronze enamel, which gave the feel of old wood peeking through.

6 comments:

Alex VanArsdale said...

I'm glad you finally built something for me to put my junk on.

Dibs on the bottom shelf!

Great artwork by the way.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Um yeah... about that... :)

Thanks Alex!

I'm enjoying Super Strike, and not just because I've had a sneak peek at what's to come. ;)

Christine Piper said...

That's a great drawing. I'm an artist in progress and love following your work. It's very inspiring as you like a lot of the same subjects I do. I'm working on learning to draw the figure. When you get good, how do you go about illustrating for publishers? I live over in Illinois rather than the coast, but I've always wanted to be able to illustrate for a publisher at some point in my life. :)

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Hi Christine. Thanks! I'm so glad you like my work. Like you I live a distance from the publishing houses, and have found my work through my agent. Keep improving your skills and build a portfolio of your best pieces, and make sure your work stays as consistent as possible. You'll also develop your signature style. Then you can start looking for an agent who will put your work in front of the right people. I had someone else asking me a similar question the other day, so I might put together a small post about it, if it would help.

Christine Piper said...

A post would be great Anthony! Thanks :)

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Good. I'll try to get something over the next few days.