Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Somewhat Adamant Valkyrie







I ran out of paper, so she get's a short-spear.

A couple weeks ago I watched the performance from the Met of Richard Wagner's  The Ring of the Nibelung, or some of it anyway.  It's very long, and some nights went to one in the morning.  I got to see some of the cool parts, like when Siegmund told Brünnhilde (paraphrasing), "I'd rather go to Hell in a hand-basket, than to Valhalla in a saddlebag!"  They had this amazing state of the art set with large rotating panels.  You can see it in the trailer.  They made all sorts of backgrounds with it by rotating them and projecting images onto the surface.

When reading the story (click on the four opera names), I wondered how much it influenced Tolkien when writing Lord of the Rings?  Also if you haven't seen Arthur Rackam's illustrations of the Ring Cycle, check it out!  Some of them are on the Wikipedia page.

5 comments:

Christine Piper said...

This is a great drawing.:) I'm curious to know what media you used to complete it?

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Hey Christine! Thanks. This is actually just a pencil sketch with some digital shading done in Photoshop. I used a similar technique on a couple of books that are just coming out - The Boxcar Children.

Christine Piper said...

Wow! You are so talented! I like to pencil sketch, but it'll probably be years before I'd even come close to your level. I am interested to know though how you bring your pencil sketches into the computer. Do you use a scanner or camera? If so, which one? I've tried scanning my drawings into the computer with really poor results. Also, are you allowed to show any illustrations you published in books? I'd love to see them. Thanks a bunch! :)

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Yes it's possible to show the illustrations once the book is published, but this has to be in the contract that the artist can use the images for promotion. Usually the illustrator will keep the rights to images and the contract will state how the image will be used, but it's important to get everything in writing. I think once the books come out on these, I'll be able to post some of them here.

I scan my drawings with an Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner. I had an HP that was Horrible with a capital "H!" Epson has always been consistent for me with printers and scanners. My drawings I just scan directly into Photoshop and adjust them there.

And thanks again for the compliment!!! :)

Anthony VanArsdale said...

It's important too that I mention the Epson scanner comes with many adjustment features that work well. I don't use them much other than the level (tone) adjustment since it's going into Photoshop, but it's definitely something to consider if you're looking for a dependable scanner.

Hope this helps!