Thursday, March 3, 2011

Prehistoric Suspense…


Actually just drawings from the grocery store parking lot.
For some reason I keep imagining the T-rex reading an Ellery Queen novel.

My good art bud, Joe Sutphin kindly shared his sketchbook with me not long ago, and I felt inspired to try and bring up my own sketchbook awesomeness level by purchasing a Moleskine and attempting a sketch a day. Usually I'm too afraid of messing up a clean new book and often draw on scrap paper so we'll see how this goes. 

Click on his name to swing by Joe's blog and check out his work.

6 comments:

Retro Patty said...

I hope this is no indication of what you expected from the grocery. Good luck on your new ideas. I look forward to seeing more!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Actually no, every time I go to the store now my mind is on flavored coffee creamers!

Hope you're doing well - we're thinking of you :)

Alex VanArsdale said...

Sweet picks bro!

pete said...

Great sketches!

Joe Sutphin said...

those are awesome Ant! And it was a cool surprise to see my name mentioned when I visited your blog:) I too used to be petrified to put anything that wasn't perfectly awesome on a sketchbook page, which is why I no longer buy nice sketchbooks. I just buy cheep ones with smooth paper and draw whatever, whenever. There are loads of lousy sketches between the ones I like in my current sketchbooks. Guys like Jim Gurney and Tony D have sketchbooks that make me cry like a little girl at a Justin Bieber concerim not at that level yet so I try not to let it bother me when I sketch. Anyway, your book is starting out nice...no pressure...

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Alex and Pete!

That is too funny Joe, and true! I'm trying to stay loose. Lately I've been imagining myself as a kid sitting down to draw. Back then I had no fear and jumped right into whatever I was starting. Guess that's why this is a picture of dinosaurs :)