Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Messy Drawings - Messy Mind

I can't exactly explain my absence from the blog for the past few weeks, except... Life.  It's just the way things have been going.  I will catch up on my current activities in the coming days but for now a quick post of sketches.


The early stages of a painting, particularly the rough sketches, are a window into the mind of the artist.  You can look around the craftsmanship of the final piece and see how the artists thinks - what works and doesn't work.  Mine always tend to be a mess for some reason with drawings on top of each other, but someone said I should post this.  Perhaps I don't like it because I can see the struggle.

5 comments:

Gin said...

Yes! Please post more of these. I love to see your sketches.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Gin!

Manelle said...

I love it. I wish my messy drawings looked that...clean. :) I vote yes on posting more like this.

PJ Lynch said...

Anthony, it is great to see the struggle and the different thumbnails you considered.
Michelangelo destroyed most of his sketches because he wanted us to think he arrived at his amazing finished work by genius or divine inspiration alone. Such a shame. It's always great to see the artist's process and graft.
Really lovely drawings.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

I had never heard Michelangelo did that. Wow!

It's always seemed strange to me how an image in the mind can seem so perfect, but once it's put on paper, there are flaws and imperfections that need to be worked out.