Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Busy · Busier · Busiest

Here are a few sketches I did after work. Of course this is from The Lord of The Rings, specifically The Hobbit. I picked it up the other day and then sketched these to get loose.


I just received a big commission that will keep me preoccupied for the next few months.  Also I'm in a rush to finish a few projects before October, a deadline I've set for myself for a reasons regarding work, so I'm not sure how many "illustrations" I'll be posting.  For fun I may even digitally tint some of the sketches I do post along the way so this blog will not be devoid of all color!  Sketches can get pretty bland.

New book's out!  This one's from a couple months ago.


And a few interior illustrations.


 The Call of the Wild is available through Magic Wagon, a division of the ABDO Group or your educational wholesaler.

I've also been meaning to post about the Gulf oil spill. As one who lives on the coast, it's not easy I can tell you.  Economically things were bad enough before this happened, but with much of the local industries dependent on the water, things quickly went from bad to worse.

Jimmy Buffett's sister Lucy has been doing what she can to help and is promoting a T-shirt to raise money, something I've been involved with over the last few weeks (life can be adventurous in strange ways).  Lucy has a restaurant near the coast, LuLu's at Homeport Marina - you can check out her website and more about the shirt by clicking here.

8 comments:

Manelle said...

Those sketches are really fantasic. I love the characters and the line work.

Aja said...

You are rockin'!

Phyllis Harris said...

Yay! Glad to see your art postings again and congrats on all the new work! I knew it was only a matter of time before you would be swamped.

It has been way too long since I've been by for a visit. I see you illustrated a book by Lisa Mullarkey! Beautiful cover!!!

I am working on my second series of books for Lisa's fun "Katherine The Almost Great" series for ABDO now and into next year.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Hi Manelle and Aja, Thanks!!!

Glad you stopped by Phyllis! I had swung by your blog a few days ago just as I was going out the door and didn't get a chance to comment. I remember the first series of Lisa's books you illustrated, and didn't connect the authors name until now! Awesome!

and thanks for the compliment! :)

Ben Hatke said...

Oh congrats on the book. The illustrations look SPLENDID.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Ben!

Fr Matthew Green said...

I was checking out some old posts through the RSS feed. These are great!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Ha! Thanks for reminding me about these Father! and for the compliment!