Friday, January 8, 2010

Painting with Oils



Just a quick post today. I recently put the finishing touches on the face in my latest portrait. You'll have to excuse the glare to the left and center.

I think I'm finally starting to settle with a painting technique I'm happy with. After I rough in the painting I apply thin layers and then accent tones with a coarse brush on the wet paint. You can see the effect better in the unfinished* painting below. It's a scan of an old piece I scraped down and repainted a few months back. I had hoped to post the whole image one day, if I'd just get around to finishing it. I haven't even put the epaulets on Col. Mustard yet!



*unfinished: this is how I escape saying I didn't catch the mistakes.

4 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

Wow! These are fantastic! Love the warmth and glow of the skin.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks, Eric!

GhettoFab said...

you know, sometimes your talent level is plain overwhelming...

another over abundance of goodness sir:)

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Mel!