Monday, January 18, 2010

A Little Bit of Everything


I've learned a few things recently. That Pro was better than College Football this season (until late in the Playoffs), and that I can't draw with a non-photo blue pencil to save my life. I've simply got to come back over it with the trusty mechanical HB before inking. I discovered this while hurriedly drawing the big red eyed guy one morning last week. It's one of those times when you're in a rush to finish before starting the daily grind. I was royally messing it up when I had to break, and was harassed by the thought of my failure all day. Yet another motive for procrastination.



There are various styles here, which is kinda neat. I went for a more animated film look on the character sheet up top (again that's a comic story idea that's coming together), and here are a few medieval style drawings intermingled with other dragon character sketches. I've resumed work on that story after overcoming a slight case of writer's block. Writing... hmm... Now there's something I will be working on this year!

By the way, the dragon sketches are random and do not feature parts of the actual story. There is no swordplay or archery or theatrical violence of any kind.

(pause)

Don't tell me you're disappointed!

11 comments:

Adam Rex said...

Nice stuff! Is the heroic-looking guy in the top row to scale? He looks a little small to me–especially given that his head's slightly smaller than the woman's. And he has a really un-heroic haircut, but that's neither here nor there.

Beautiful work on the big bad guy.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

don't look at the guy, look at the girls. Poor scaling and bad haircuts never show in your peripheral vision.

Jennifer said...

I think your art is just so full of life! I'm for sure not disappointed!!

Jennifer said...

Do you use models?

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Jennifer! and no... no models, although I probably should.

Kelly Light said...

Someone said this to me last summer- and I didn't get it- until I thought of you - "You sketches are so good,I could eat them with a spoon!"

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Haha! thanks Kelly-
you definitely deserved that compliment by the way!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

da image up top just got updated...

Ben Hatke said...

Hey Anthony, these are really intriguing characters! I love the sort of classy sci-fi look they have and the simple-yet-cool outfits and haircuts. I know you've updated the image, but the guys stature and hair look great.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks, Man!

Manelle said...

Oh I totally know what you mean about the Non-photo blue. I have a hard time with them too.
I love the sketches.