Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Winter Weather, Paints, and Portfolio Updates

Trying to put a few layers on my latest painting before I start on my next book. I hope everyone is enjoying the beginning of this holiday season. Thanksgiving was terrific for me, and my family and I are really looking forward to Christmas. Below is a work in progress of the newly appointed Archbishop of Mobile, the Most Reverend Thomas Rodi. I've worked on it for two days now and have made some pretty good headway. These are the preliminary layers... lots of detail to come.

Here is a small oil study from a few weeks ago I painted for future reference. I went so far as to make a couple sculptures for this one to help with the lighting. Unfortunately they didn't turn out very well but they did serve their purpose.




And if you get a chance, check out my updated portfolio over at Shannon Associates. Most of the peices added I have shared here already, but there are some black and white illustrations from the Last of the Mohicans that are new.

7 comments:

Phyllis Harris said...

I really love seeing the stages on the Mary painting, Anthony! Just like the masters of old, you are amazing!

Congratulations on all the success...I knew it was only a matter of time.

Alex VanArsdale said...

I met the Archbishop its a very good likeness.

Amy Sullivan said...

~I love your Mother & Child painting~
your work amazes me~

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks everyone!!

Jennifer said...

Very nice! I have that exact same easel as well! haha

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Hey thanks Jennifer! LOL... Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that they had the same Bob Ross palette knife that I did

Beto Amorim said...

Great job mate! A like the faces, portraits etc... I use to draw a lot, made sculptures and I found a thing that envolve everything together, I star with plastic models, this was a way I found to put my knowledge in only one thing. Take a look in my blog too. http://betomodelkits.blogspot.com/