Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Art and Links, or... Links to Great Art!

The Tree is up, and the Vince Guaraldi CD is on repeat, spreading Charlie Brown Christmas music throughout the house. I really wish I had something to show right now, but I haven't been too happy with personal sketches lately. I don't think I'm every happy at all come to think of it, except at that moment when I have an idea, and rush for pencil and paper. After that I struggle and bumble along and employ every trick I know to make it look as good as I can. Creative process I guess.


The images here are old, except for the Santa girl. I thought about not posting her since I had a complaint (not exactly) that my girls were sometimes too hot. I don't know what they're talking about...

moving on...

Anyone who knows me, knows that animation is tops on my favorites list - particularly pencil tests. I love character sketches that show movement, which is something every good illustration should have. And thank heaven for the internet, because I easily found some! (Warning: I am running the risk that you will leave my blog and not return for the rest of the day, there are so many cool things over there... Check out the blog links below to see more.)

One blog features the art of Glen Keane. The video below is a thumbnail animation, at least I think that's what the pros would call it. Heck I don't know the terms, who am I kidding! I've watched it about six times and the expressions achieved by using merely a few lines floors me.



And here's da links...

The Art of Glen Keane, by Raul Andres

Pencil Test Depot, by Jamaal Bradley

And just because it's a precious well of inspiration:
Harald Siepermann's portfolio

I'm going to get some good stuff here soon folks. Some of my latest posts have been a little "blah!"

7 comments:

Abigail said...

You can't go wrong with Vince Guaraldi!

Fabulous illustrations; I'm really in awe of the recent work you've been posting.

Kelly Light said...

Anthony- have a fabulous Holiday season!! Your sketches on a bad day.. still inspire! And the chicks are hot - so? George Petty- Vargas - Elvgren.. had great careers drawing hot women (and they were damn good artists). - jingle jingle have a holly jolly! Kel

GhettoFab said...

I would love to have an ounce of yer abilities..just an ounce. Dont think Im askin for a whole lot...

An animatic is what this would be called :) ( Ive been tryin to learn more about story and what not, so glad you posted this )

Keep doin amazing stuff

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Abigail! for stopping by and for the kind words!

haha... Thanks Kelly! and holly jolly back at ya! :)

Thanks so much, Mel! that's what it was, animatic! I was sure you would know. I tell ya, animators are some of the best artists in the world. and speaking of animation, I hope to see some more of your work real soon

Mighty Kwan said...

Thanks so much Anthony for stopping by my blog! My heart flips a little bit when I see you respond to my stuff!

I also gaso in awe at the control over emotion and expression that these animators have. Granted, Glen Keane is a master! And he deserves much study and praise. I have a lot to learn and he has a LOT to teach!

Thanks again for your kind words and wisdom!

-Wilson

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Wilson, but I'm not deserving of that. There's a new post up on the Glen Keane site... man that's awesome stuff!

Alex VanArsdale said...

Christmas is coming... I am so excited!!!!