Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Last of the Mohicans


It's tough finding time to blog these days. In this post are a few of my illustrations from the book The Last of the Mohicans. It will be available January 2010 through Magic Wagon, a division of the ABDO Group or your educational wholesaler.


The book offered a great opportunity for some rather dramatic images.


I like how the angles turned out in this one. Originally I was going to have the party viewed completely from the side, and was about a quarter of the way into it when I had the idea for this composition. It was worth the extra work to change it.

This was the second illustration I worked on (finished it right before I went to the beach a couple months ago) and is one of my favorites - I love the tension and Cora's rigid posture. She's not taking any guff!

Over the next few weeks I'll share more illustrations and some of the roughs and prelim sketches. Stay tuned!

14 comments:

dBurk said...

Awesome work, Anthony! Congrats!

Kristi Valiant said...

Anthony, your work is always inspiring. I love how these are tight and solid, and yet loose and energetic at the same time. Your faces are so consistent from any angle and the clothing is so realistic in it's folds and textures. Well done.

Alex VanArsdale said...

I can't wait for the book to come out!
Awesome job. I would say I'm proud of you but that would be totally lame coming from your brother.

Jeremy D. Evans said...

Anthony - congrats! These illustrations are awesome. The composition, value, and character expression in each of these is top notch. So how cool is it to know your work is going to be in print?! Is this your first published work? Very impressed, buddy!

Also, they haven't posted it on the Southern Breeze webpage, but I just found out I got 3rd in the illustration contest this year!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks everyone!

It's pretty cool, Jeremy. This will be my first book... And congratulations! I knew your illustration would do well!

Kelly Light said...

Pop! There goes some champagne for you here! First book- of many many many.-Hurray for you Mr. VanArsdale!- Kelly

AWells said...

Fantastic work Anthony- and congratulations! What a stunning first published book! Bravo!

Phyllis Harris said...

Stunning!! Your work is amazing as usual and congrats on your first book! This is the first of many to come!

I did a book series with ABDO/Magic Wagon and really enjoyed working with them! I can't wait to see this in print!!

Congratulations again!!!!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Hi Kelly and Aja! thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. Kelly, I'm digging that hat!

Thank you so much, Phyllis! Working with ABDO has been great. It was also nice to illustrate this particular Classic

Jennifer said...

Well I think you did an EXCELLENT job Anthony. You know, you're one of my favs now dude! Happy sketching!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Hi Jennifer! Thanks! and happy sketching to you too :)

Joe Sutphin said...

Thats really cool Anthony! I hope there is a way we can see the finished product someday!

Terresa said...

Great artwork. You are talented!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Joe! me too

Thanks Terresa!