Monday, October 12, 2009

Colonel Mustard I Presume


Several weekends ago, I took a trip to the beach with family. Overall it wasn't bad, but I came back more tired than ever. While at the condo, we played a few rounds of the board game Clue. It was the first time my brothers had ever played it and they caught on rather quickly. Andrew however seemed to have the notorious problem of rolling ones and twos, making his trek across the board slow and arduous. Each time he played as Colonel Mustard, and I had the idea for this painting (still unfinished). He is known for giving people "that look." Below is an example of how game conversation would often go.

Colonel Mustard: I believe the crime was committed by Miss Scarlet with theeeeee.... Revolver!

Professor Plum: Where?

Colonel Mustard: In the leg.

Mr. Green: He means what room?!

Colonel Mustard: In the Conversationary.

Professor Plum: You mean the Conservatory?

As for the painting, there are about three layers on the face. Probably could use a few more but I've already spent more time on it than I thought I would.

15 comments:

dBurk said...

Very nice! Is this oil or acrylic?

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks David! This is oil on canvas.

It frustrates me though because the problems I'm having with it should have been worked out by now. I need more practice with the medium for sure.

Joe Sutphin said...

yeah, it is a pretty lousy painting...show-off :)

gorgeous, of course...far beyond anything I could offer!

Kelly Light said...

It was Anthony -in the condo- with the paint brush. - blowing away minds.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Joe and Kelly :)

Joe it's just I've been looking at it too much... I've nearly critiqued it apart, but there is always room for improvement.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Kelly, you're just too funny! my mind's been slow today but I did just get it... lol!!!

you rock! :)

c.g.young said...

impressive,
always a pleasure to leave your site inspired.

-c.g.young

Phyllis Harris said...

Wonderful as usual, Anthony! Sounds like a fun vacation even if it was tiring! :o)Spending time with the fam is always inspiring...

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks C.G.!

Thank you Phyllis, and yes they are definitely inspiring :)

Alex VanArsdale said...

This is really good! When are you getting it framed?

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

I love his expression. SO full of life. And the verbal exchange so typical of a child. You have alot of great stuff here. I will be back.

Ben Hatke said...

Ha! Oil paintings are never done. That's the way they are. You can work on them for years! Decades!

But this one? Really nice. Bravo!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Alex.

Thank you Kim!

Thanks Ben, and you are so right! Layer upon layer... when does it end?!

Gin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks, Virginia! I'll email you.