Monday, August 10, 2009

Foot Study

There's a lot I could say about this quick oil study I did last night. Like how I had to eat 5 pickles to have a jar for my brush cleaner. Very sad!

I was reading Saturday about different color palettes over at Matthew D. Innis' blog, and after looking at all the beautiful work collected there, I had to bring out the oils. To answer the question some of you asked, digital painting is not the same as the real thing. Mixing the oils and preparing the canvas is an experience all to itself, and I love it (when I feel the painting has good results). Also James Gurney mentioned over at his blog in a 2007 post the benefits of painting from the masters.

This study is from Bouguereau's The Bohemian, as seen on the cover of the book below. There is room for improvement, but that's the whole reason for the study! I feel like I learned something from this exercise and look forward to trying it again sometime soon.

14 comments:

Phyllis Harris said...

Anthony, Anthony! You are such an old soul. I say that as a compliment, of course! Your work has the maturity of a 70 year old and yet you are such a youngster!!! I can't imagine how far you will go with your talent!

I also love seeing the desk shot...always fun to see another artist's working environment. Thanks for sharing...keep it up, please!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Ha ha! thanks Phyllis! I like seeing artists' work stations too... did you notice the pickle jar? :) For once my working area was clean enough to photograph!

Joe Sutphin said...

Brother, its not even funny how good this little painting is! you are a master in hiding!

Eric Orchard said...

Beautiful! Great job!

J.L.Meyer said...

Beautiful feet, I love the colors and the sensitivity to it.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks everyone!

Carla said...

Wow!!!!

Kelly Light said...

lovely- went to school w/ Matt Innis. Watched the dude paint in my kitchen.

Don Coker said...

Anthony, you should bring out the oils more often! Hmmm, 5 pickles for a brush cleaning jar? Gives new meaning to suffering for one's work!

GhettoFab said...

Man brilliant study! Now that is some talent!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks everybody!

Kelly: so it really is a small world after all! :)

Shawn Escott said...

Great study and awesome blog you have. So much good art, really inspiring.

BTW: I have that same Bob Ross palette knife LOL

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Shawn! Ha ha - I bought that palette knife a few years ago... it sure has held up well. Still has Bob's picture on it!

Ben Hatke said...

Is that really your work table? So orderly! I see that and I think "I will never post a picture of my desk."

Your oil study is very nice!