Wednesday, October 22, 2008

New Artwork... New Direction!


Here is the finished dragon painting. I just put this piece on my website so I thought I might post it here.

Also, there are a few new illustrations over at the second page of my website portfolio. I actually painted these in the spring of this year so I've been sitting on them for quite awhile.


And this sketch is actually NOT a picture of a giant elf chasing little people. (see the finished piece here) The idea came to me while I was still at the conference. There's a lot of action, and the elements of the painting should really bring the viewer into the image. I'm jazzed about this new direction.

I had planned on taking some time off after the conference, but not as long as these ideas are fresh in my head. I feel like I'm shifting gears here, so I can't wait to get these new paintings finished!


The watercolor above is for a local parish priest who is a close friend of mine. I finished this painting last night, and it will be used in a brochure handed out at the dedication of the church in November.

And this is one of fourteen absolutely gorgeous stained glass windows that were restored for the church. I can't get over the beauty of these windows. The photo does not do it justice.

11 comments:

Kelly Light said...

(Warning - nagging mom-like advice coming) So Anthony- are you coming to NYC anytime soon? Winter SCBWI conference? If anyone should be discovered, it's you - but you have to put yourself in the position to be discovered. Do you have postcards that you mail out? - All you need is the right traffic to your website. You're right there - you've got it all talent wise - but now you need to schill and schmooze . If I could place a bet I'd put all my chips on you - the new art's fab.

Phyllis Harris said...

I totally agree with Kelly Light's comment!
The new piece is fabulous! And the website is super as well! Great job!

kathy hare said...

this new dragon illustration is beautiful, I have just visited your website for the first time and it is perfect, it is easy to use and your work looks great.. keep up the good work Anthony it wont be long until you have work pouring in! :)

Christina Ann Rodriguez said...

Your website is fantastic!!! and this dragon illustration is amazing!! shoot for the stars Anthony!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Kelly! I definitely need to look into New York... some of the southern breeze attendees mentioned the different ways of exposure through the New York market... I'll do my research

Thank you Phyllis!!!

Thanks Kathy!! I'm glad you like the site... it was tough getting it to come together, but I think all the bugs are out

Thanks Christina!! I'll try :)

Justin Crisostomo said...

Hi. Long time reader first time commenter. I just wanted to say, your giant elf would be very halloween appropriate. I love your illustrations.

Justin

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Hi Justin! thanks!

interesting concept about Halloween.. haha I hadn't thought of that

I just realized I forgot to mention in the post what it was actually a picture of!

Christina Ann Rodriguez said...

what is it a picture of?

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Get this... it's a boy and girl chasing a dog, dressed as santa, through a restaurant... I don't know where this idea came from... just popped in there... I have a few more to go with it so it tells a short story

if you look at the rough to the upper right you can kinda see the waiter throwing his hands in the air :)

the elf chasing the little people is actually my trying to figure out the direction of the girls legs and her expression

Anthony VanArsdale said...

It's crazy I know... but it's fun!

Eric Orchard said...

Gorgeous painting of the church Anthony!Architecture is so hard to do and you do it like it's no problem at all.Really beautiful.