Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Finally, a new post

It's been a while since I've posted last. A lot to do and little time to do it. The fall SCBWI conference is only two weeks away, so my brain is a bit scattered.

I recently finished my book dummy for the dragon story, which I'm really fired up about, and I'm working on some color illustrations to go with it. What an amazing adventure it's been creating these characters! Tons of fun! I'll try and share some of them soon, but until then I'll show a few older pieces.


The picture above is an acrylic painting I did back in 2007. At the time I intended to sell wildlife paintings of this nature, but it never got off the ground. Besides not fulfilling my desire to draw people in the story telling environment of illustration, I couldn't find any local buyers to make it worthwhile.

I gave this painting to my grandmother who, being from St. Louis, has a fondness for anything pertaining to cardinals (bird or team). I remember getting loads of Ozzie Smith memorabilia when I was a child, so this picture really made her day.

6 comments:

Amy Sullivan said...

We love cardinals here in Virginia too.I have a bird feeder out.And it is wonderful when the blue jays & cardinals are feeding together. Great color in action.
This is a beautiful drawing.
~Amy~

Anthony VanArsdale said...

thanks Amy! we've had the pleasure of seeing bluebirds these last few winters... very pretty

although I must say, I think some of them enjoy staying on the river year around (which is surprising)
their summer feathers aren't as nice as in the winter

AWells said...

It's very beautiful! I have actually heard that there is somewhat of a shortage of scientific illustrators. If you enjoy this kind of work, you may consider making separate postcards and contact publishers and places that seek out scientific illustration.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks Aja! and that's an interesting idea... I know if I do try to go in that direction, I won't use acrylics... I ruined about three brushes painting this piece!

Jess said...

I think your ilustrations are absolutely amazing. Good luck with the Dragon book, I'm sure you'll have success with it.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thank you so much Jess!