Friday, August 29, 2008

New Studies

Finally, something new to post! I've been busy with artwork, but nothing neat enough to show just yet.


Here is a small head model I made from Crayola air-dry clay. It's lumpy and unfinished but I wanted to have something for lighting reference when drawing an adult face. This could be used for just about any head but I think I might make a female model as well.

And this is a drawing of the character I did last night. I really wanted to see the results of drawing from the model, so I probably won't take this image beyond the sketch. There are a few issues with it but I think it turned out well.

I intend to have several pieces, a bit more mature than the children's book illustrations, featuring a medieval theme. I've been recently inspired by the paintings of Edmund Blair Leighton, particularly "The Accolade." They just have such a wonderful feel to them... chivalrous... noble... upstanding... And beautiful women in gorgeous flowing dresses!

Anyway... a lot of artwork in the works. As soon as I have some finished pieces I'll share them. (The little girl study, from two posts ago, is in the final stages now)

10 comments:

Kristi Valiant said...

Wow, Anthony, what an amazing lil' sculpture. You really have a talent for that art too.

Roberta said...

Great idea!
Leighton's work is amazing, very romantic. I can see some similarities there!

Eric Orchard said...

Your sculpting is always such a joy to look at. Beautiful, and there is such a direct line between your sculpting and your drawing. You are way too talented lol! Leighton's stuff is amazing. It's so hard to find books on that period.

Amy Sullivan said...

Dear, Sweet, Amazing, & SO Talented Anthony~
You completely take my breath away~
when you randomly post these drawings~sculptures...what ever! You can be three~D too! If you scroll threw my blog you can find my pottery.I love those pieces~&~ the only other sculpture I have done was...Years ago, when the China Tiananmen Square Tragedy in 1989 took place.The art students at V.C.U. wanted to honor the China Art Students & try & duplicate the Liberty Sculpture they had done.And, do it in the time frame they had.~They asked me to sculpt the head.I did.~But, I am no sculptor. ~Amy~

Amy Sullivan said...

~Anthony~
Go see my blog.Someone wrote about it just recently.~Amy~

Manelle said...

Your so great at drawing figures. By the way I totally stole the way you draw little kid eyes for some stuff I've been working on lately. Thanks for that.

Phyllis Harris said...

Wonderful sketch!! I think this is a great way to work on character sketches. That way you have a model for every angle and can still a consistency!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thank you very, VERY much everyone... these comments are encouraging and Greatly appreciated!!! :)

Joe Sutphin said...

very nice little sculpture! and that sketch is fantastic.

Jess said...

Amazing!
Can't wait to see what you do with the little girl study.