Monday, May 26, 2008

Chronicles of Narnia



These sketches are from The Chronicles of Narnia "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." The top composition sketch is from the attack of the Sea Serpent. The monster wraps itself around the ship in an attempt to break it in two. The crew rushes to push it's wet body over the side before it draws the knot tight. Caspian orders the decorative tail of the vessel cut off so the monster will lose it's grip. (still a lot of problems with the comp but this is a start)

The second drawing is an idea sketch for the ship based on the book's description.


And this menacing lady is The Green Witch from the Chronicles of Narnia "The Silver Chair." She seems a bit older than I intended (her appearance is supposed to be completely deceptive so I wanted her a little younger) and I'm afraid I like the dress sketches above better than the one I gave her. (Sheesh!)

Here she prepares to throw magic powder onto the fire in order to enchant prince Rilian and his companions. It is a small part of a larger illustration. I hope to post a more complete drawing soon.

12 comments:

rbaird said...

Amazing Anthony.
These are beautifully worked!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thank you so much Roberta!

Eric Orchard said...

Man, Anthony...Every picture is better than the last. Amazing stuff, I love your take on these characters. I can not wait to see you in print.

-J.Meyer said...

Lovely,
The green witch is beautiful. Love the feeling of your sketches (and they are sooo clean!)

J.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

I wanted to say thanks again Eric... and for the advice the other day... you've been a pal!

And thank you Jennifer! I had a lot of fun with these... I seem to be drawn a bit toward the drama... I hope it comes across :)

Lorraine said...

Beautiful sketch work!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Hey, thanks Lorraine!

C.B. Canga said...

nice

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Thanks C.B.

Amy Sullivan said...

Anthony, WoW ! This guy can draw ! "Your future is so bright you gotta ware shades !" sing it with me. :0)
amy

Ambera said...

I can't get over the action and movement in these illustrations. And that bunny? Pretty darn adorable.

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Hey Amy! That's hilarious :D Thank you so much!

and thank you too Ambera! That little bunny has been a joy for my whole family :)